In devising the best craft beer and pizza pairings, I asked an expert in the field. See which beers Lefty recommends to go with our party plan of creative pizzas: What goes best with meaty topping, with vegetable toppings, and with cheese-focused pizzas.
For this party theme focused on making creative pizzas, I delve into the world of craft beers—and asked the founder of The Craft Beer Network for his pairing suggestions. Leftonred Atanycorner (aka Lefty) is not only a well-known craft beer populist, he is also seventh-generation New Yorker—so he really knows pizza. His suggestions match craft beers to the toppings on my menu.
If your passion is craft beers you can find a schedule of upcoming tastings on Lefty’s website: nycbeer.info. You may run into him either photographing or orchestrating.
To complement a meat-centric pizza: go with a smoky beer
– Emelisse Imperial Russian Stout Peated made with peated whiskymalt.
– Blind Bat Hellsmoke Porter [ NYC ] Robust, brewed with barley with the smoky aspectes coming from alder and applewood.
To balance a cheese-centric pizza: go with an IPA
– Founders Centennial IPA Has a floral bouquet with citrus accents, and a finish not too bitter.
– Blue Point Hoptical Illusion IPA [ NYC ] Hops balances malt in a golden India Pale Ale.
To complement a veggie-centric pizza: go with a wheat beer
– Flying Dog In-Heat Wheat German-style Hefe In the style of a traditional German beers, with more wheat and yeast.
– Bronx Pale Ale [ NYC ] five different barley malts, offering caramel, biscuit, and nutty flavors. Hops add an intense floral and citrus aroma.
To contrast a veggie-centric pizza: go with a double IPA
– Lagunitas Hop Stoopid A bounty of Hops and major rich Malt taste.
– Singlecut Beersmiths Billy Full-Stack Double IPA [ NYC ] Smooth and citrusy.
See this informative website, devoted exclusively to rating craft beers, if you are a beer lover. ratebeer.com
See more ideas for creating an exciting pizza buffet in 03 Easy Pizza