Who To Take: a seafood lover or your closest 7 friends for an unforgettable experience
I always like to pull out all the stops for my birthday, so, instead of hosting a big party this year, I decided that an intimate dinner with 7 of my closest friends would be a splendid departure and indulgence for all of us. I shopped around Manhattan, on the hunt for the perfect venue that would appeal to the palates and taste level of our wine-loving crowd. The verdict: Estiatorio Milos totally fit the bill with its private dining room: The Wine Room.
How grand to be perched over the dining/bar area surrounded by glass and bottles of wine. Having this private room allowed for conversation while maintaining the experience of being part of the gorgeous design. Eating here feels like you have left Manhattan and landed in a sun-shiny, sparkling white Greek getaway.
The menu for the evening was the joy of my mostly pescatarian friends, and was accompanied by lots of fresh veggies to boot. All the food is extremely top quality, with much of it imported from the Mediterrenean just hours before. The fish alone is a reason to come here.
The service was impeccable, and very personal. All the food was served family-style, making it feel even more intimate. For dessert, the restaurant allowed a cake to be brought in, so we ordered one from Veniero’s—my friend Frank’s favorite stop whenever he’s in Manhattan. (He moved from NYC to NC, so craves Italian pastries of that caliber).
My friend Paul chose a fantastic red blend wine from California’s Hourglass vineyard that was the toast of the town. We did have a few bottle of the HGIII. Here are the menu details:
• Zucchini Chips: the restaurant’s signature dish, lightly fried and as light as air
• Crab Cake: made with jumbo lump crabmeat from Maryland’s blue crabs
• Octopus: sashimi quality, grilled and served in the traditional Greek style with capers, lemon juice, and olive oil sitting atop fava bean purée
• Calamari: fresh and lightly fried
• Shrimp: premium quality fresh white Gulf Shrimp broiled
• Greek Salad: Tomatoes imported from Greece, green peppers, english cucumbers, onions, barrel-aged feta cheese, kalamata olives
• Exotic Mushrooms & Vegetables: Simply grilled
• Loup De Mer in Sea Salt: Mediterranean Sea Bass served with Horta
• Broiled Lamb Chops
• Roasted Beets
• Greek Yogurt with Baklava croquant
• Fresh Seasonal Fruit
• Tiramisu Cake (imported from Veniero’s downtown)
Estiatorio Milos, 125 w 55th St (betw 6th/7th Ave); The Wine Room seats 8 to 10 perfectly for private dining; Also available for meetings and parties perched above the crowd Private Room can host up to 24 seated. For something even grander, book the newly renovated downstairs room complete with grand staircase, so you can really make an entrance